The Religious Education at Dulwich Village C of E Infants' School is an integral and vital element to the curriculum. It is best summarised through the words from the Southwark Diocese Board of Education:"Religious Education (RE) is not just an academic subject, but, lies at the very heart of the curriculum and has an important role in reflecting and conveying the distinctively Christian character of the school.
RE enables pupils to think theologically and explore the great questions of life and death, meaning and purpose; reflect critically on the truth claims of Christian belief; see how the truth of Christianity is relevant today and face the challenge of Jesus' teaching in a pluralist and post modern society; experience the breadth and variety of the Christian community and become active citizens, serving their neighbour.
In our school we want RE to enable pupils to:
- develop a strong foundation of the Christian faith through knowledge and understanding that includes Christian Beliefs and Values, The Bible, Old Testament Characters, the Life and Teachings of Jesus, Prayer and Worship, Saints, The Local Church, The Christian Community, Living out the Faith, Rites of Passage and Christian Festivals;
- apply an understanding of Christianity to make reasoned and informed responses to life issues and moral choices;
- develop some knowledge and understanding of other main world faiths represented in the United Kingdom, applying an understanding of religion to develop respect, empathy and sensitivity towards all people;
- enhance their spiritual, moral, social and cultural development;
- develop the ability to reflect on their own beliefs, values and experiences and communicate issues of faith and truth;
- develop skills of critical analysis and evaluation and the promotion of understanding of people from different faith backgrounds and none.”
At Dulwich Village C of E Infants' School RE is taught through discrete lessons for all three year groups. The curriculum consists of two strands:
- Learning about Religion
- Learning from Religion.
Each half term a different aspect of R.E. is covered in each year group and we use the Southwark Diocese Board of Education's scheme of work to develop the children's learning. Where possible we link these themes to other learning in the curriculum for example, in Reception, the Creation theme is linked to the Farm topic. R.E. is taught through the use of role play, reflection, art and music as well as creative writing and discussion.
The topics covered every half term are as follows:
Autumn 1 - My World and I
Autumn 2 - The Land Before Time
Spring 1 - In with a Splash
Spring 2 - From the Furry to the Feathered
Summer 1 - Use Your Imagination!
Summer 2 - Creepy Crawlies
Autumn 1 - To Infinity and Beyond!
Autumn 2 - We Can Be Heroes
Spring 1 - Grand Designs
Spring 2 - Over the Land and Sea
Summer 1 - Going Wild
Summer 2 - Blue Planet
Autumn 1 - Bright Lights Big City
Autumn 2 - Give it some Art!
Spring 1 - Trash to Treasure!
Spring 2 - Towers, Turrets, Tiaras
Summer 1 - Get Coding
Summer 2 - Home Sweet Habitat
In our school we are learning these songs: